Friday, January 1, 2010

New year, new thought: Is the enemy us?

It's a funny thing about New Year's Day. There is nothing special about this day except the way we view it. Maybe it's watching that famous ball drop or just posting a new calender in the kitchen that signifies a fresh start with new hopes. However, we can have a fresh start any time we need it - at the beginning of a new day, a week, or a month. It's all in our perception.

I'm not one for making New Year's resolutions, but it is a good time to set goals and think about all I want to accomplish and what I want to change.

One thing that I want to work on this year is the way I talk about and treat other women.

I think of a scene from the movie "Mean Girls"(2004) based on the book "Queen Bees and Wannabes" by Rosalind Wiseman. "Girl-on-girl crime" is uncovered when the majority of girls admit that they've had something bad said about them behind their backs and have said something bad about other girls behind their backs.

I am guilty, guilty, guilty -- I admit that freely. It is a practice that is instilled early on in life and is hard to break. Little girls do it and big girls continue to do it.

Lately I've been thinking -- I've seen the enemy and she is us (myself included.) We can't accomplish any goals if we are constantly infighting and tearing one another down, whether face-to-face or behind the back. This applies to all women in our lives -- our sisters, our classmates, or coworkers, and our relatives.

We seem to do it without thinking. But, we must think in order to break the cycle. Once we are aware of how often we do things like call one another bitches or put another woman down based on her appearance, or degrade her because she's different, we can break the cycle.

It is important that we do so, because nothing will change until we change the way we treat each other. It's that simple. Think about it - make a new start.

Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment