Friday, February 5, 2010

Just for Fun: Cherie's art gallery

"Art is not living -- it is the use of living." -- Audre Lorde

The late feminist Audre Lorde encouraged women to express themselves through art and poetry.

Here is my adventure in art.

During the 2008 fall semester, I took Studio Art 102 with Martyn Bouskila. This was a challenging and time-consuming class. On the first day, Martyn told us, "If anyone thinks this is a blow-off art class -- it ain't!" I worked hard and pushed my personal boundaries. Best of all, I had the opportunity to meet some very talented OU artists.

These are some of my creations -- try not to laugh -- but if you do, it's OK :)

Enjoy!







"Quote and Unquote" was one of my first creations. It was a study in proximity.








"Disecting Crosses" was a study in repetition.








"Shoe Tree" was a study in cross-hatching -- a pencil technique.









"Tool Box Trinkets"








"Together" as study in abstraction.







"Harvest Time" (see the sickles?) is a notan -- a study in positive and negative space.








Not a notan -- but still cool I think.








"Tree Tops"





"Bikini Girl" (as well as "Tree Tops) was supposed to be a study in distortion. According to Martyn, I missed the mark and drew "a cartoon." Oh well!








"Rainy Day" was inspired by Jackson Pollock.





"Swans With Signets" was supposed to be a study in focal point. Some of my fellow students thought these were ice bergs.








"Bagels and Bananas" was a study in color theory.










The sculpture "Crayons" was my masterpiece -- I still have it on display at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment