Saturday, October 23, 2010

Just for fun: All aboard the '80s musical time machine


While searching for music to accompany a recently-aired editorial on WXOU, a long-forgotten melody came to mind and would not leave.

The song is "Don't give up," a duet by Peter Gabriel and Kate Bush from my favorite '80s album "So" released by Gabriel in 1986.

I found the video on "YouTube" and for six minutes I was back in the 1980s. I was a different person living a different life with different thoughts -- far from the person I am today.

I wonder what I would say to my younger self and what she would say to me?

It was a different time. There were no cell phones, no Blackberries, and no Internet. Even fax machines were still rare. People still used typewriters and wrote letters.

Technology aside, life was not easy. There was unemployment, financial unrest, depression, and the pressures of everyday life. Some things never change.

"Don't give up" is not a catchy, inspirational tune. It's a soft, haunting melody with poignant lyrics that are as fresh today as when they sailed the airwaves in 1986. The raspy voice of Gabriel balanced with the angelic voice of Bush gave me hope and kept me going through some of the more challenging days of my young adulthood.

On a different note, the same album gave the world "Sledgehammer," a funky tune accompanied by an award-winning video that defined the MTV generation. Another track, "In your eyes," was used in the 1989 movie "Say Anything" starring John Cusack. In the film, Cusack's character serenades a young woman by blasting the song on a giant boom box he holds over his head.

Fast forward to the present day. In the 2010 release "Hot Tub Time Machine," Cusack and friends take a trip back to the '80s only to find out that things weren't exactly as they remembered. So, while it's fun to reminisce, I don't like to spend too much time celebrating the so-called "glories of the past." I'd much rather be alive in the here and now looking forward to the future -- even with all my current challenges.

However, if you'd like to take a trip back in time for just a few minutes -- here are the videos for "Don't give up" and "Sledgehammer." Tubular!





BONUS: Cherie's favorite '80s-themed films:
"The Wedding Singer" with Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore
"Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion" with Lisa Kudrow and Mira Sorvino

No comments:

Post a Comment